We were delighted to learn of the go-ahead for the experimental Taunton – Bishops Lydeard shuttle service this June. It will be a valued asset to the economy of West Somerset and the West Somerset Railway, as well as playing its small part in keeping cars off the road in these environmentally precarious times.
As I have stressed before to Matthew Barnes, we at MRLG are firmly behind this initiative and hope it will lead to a daily all year shuttle service – perhaps achieved by incorporating it into an extended Cardiff/Bristol to Taunton service. Ideally we hope that eventually a through service will be introduced all the way to Minehead, but in the meantime, we see Bishops Lydeard as an excellent railhead for West Somerset and trust that sufficient parking spaces will be provided at Bishops Lydeard Station.
We are keen to help GWR/WSR promote this experimental service and as I explained to Matthew Barnes, we are willing to help market it in any way you feel might help. Things that come to mind and that we would be happy to do include:-
- Distributing flyers and timetables to businesses and households in West Somerset
- Displaying promotional posters in shop windows, pubs and community notice boards
- Distributing promotional material on GWR local services between Taunton and Exeter, Weston super Mare and Bristol and at stations.
- Assist GWR in manning any sales stands it may set up, where the service is being promoted.
- Mentioning the new service on any of our own promotional material
Perhaps you could let us know if we can be of assistance in any of the above or other ways and also let us have a copy of the proposed timetable and operating days.
Needless to say, we hope the new service will be included in the May timetable posters, pocket timetables, Colleague Guides and GWR network maps and of course in all CIS information displays and announcements at stations and on trains.
Do please keep us in the loop and let us know if we can help in any way.
Publicity Officer, Minehead Rail Link Group